Monday, June 16, 2008

A Journey Of Thousands Of Miles

My life has been a journey. As a kid, i moved from city to city, often within city.... i lived in thirteen houses with my parents, (Eight since), and have studied in ten schools/colleges by the time i finished my post-graduation. But my biggest journey is yet to come. This will hopefully be a story of that journey.

I was born in Central India, & moved within the heartland state of MP for 24 years. My father is employed by state government in a job that for some people may involve a significant moving about. It did for him, & so I moved from one small city to another, one school to another, one set of friends to another. I did medicine, because I could, & because i really wanted to be a doctor. In that order. It was more of a challange than i had bargained for, and i faultered at the firt hurdle. For the first time, I flunked. It was only a term paper, and 75% of my class was with me, but that was a poor consolation. That was when REALLY worked hard, i mean REALLY REALLY worked hard. 

That was also when i introspected really hard, what study method works for me? What are my strengths & weaknesses? Till then, studies had always been something that took care of itself. Now I realized I'm hopeless as a rote learner, but much better than others in grasping something complex. 

I also realized the utter sham of Indian education, where even in medicine, all I was expected to do was remember more stuff and reproduce in exams what the professor dictated in class.

But I was in it for better or for worse, and i had to perform now. I read more and more authors, read to grasp things I was asked to memorize, and built up a base of knowledge and a method of learning that has been helpful even since. I was in top 10% in the next term, and maintained that position in the overall rankings during MBBS. 

Next: Physician discover thyself

No comments: