Thursday, July 3, 2008

Changed List of Schools

I have decided to not run after Chicago and HBS. I'll concentrate on 4 US schools (Fuqua, Tuck, Ross, Darden), 3 Indian (IIM A & L, ISB), and HKUST, a wild card. This is my final list for now.

Reasoning.

My aim is to go into healthcare management, reaching Strategic position ASAP. While wharton may be my best bet for that, i'm not too excited about my leadership record. I mean, as a doctor, there's only so much you can do. My "leadership" things only include things like talking to the CEO to make laparoscopic surgery packages more attractive for our patients, things like this. I have also worked in 5 institutes in seven years, and while i was always moving towards something, its not something you boast about. So i feel the top 5 are beyond my reach. I therefore stay within the top 20 or so, and concentrate on the schools good at general management, where very few indian doctors would be applying.

I am 34, and this may well be my last chance..... If I have a chance at all

The choice of indian schools is obvious

The HKUST is the joker in the pack. It's not all that well known in India, is a good program with good recruitment, and although its focus is finance, and the brand name in India non-existing, its very well recognized in rest of Asia. It will be a last resort, I guess, but is a good last reasort, if one is needed.

6 comments:

The Teacher said...

Hi Starwalker,

I think you are just being too modest. The example you quoted as your leadership experience is worth mentioning. As I understand, leadership is not just about handling responsibility or directing people. It is about identifying a change and taking steps to realize that change. To convince people to believe in you.

And if put nicely, you can show a good impact. As you said, this is your last chance. So why not give a shot at Wharton? I see you are located in Dubai. If you are an Indian, you are already in the underrepresented group and that may as well work in your advantage.

All the best,
Nitin.

tinydancer said...

Hi there,

I agree - don't sell yourself short! There are many people in the HCM program at Wharton that are MDs and probably have a similar type of experience. As the previous poster said, leadership is about influencing people, not just supervising them. In fact, many of us that will be attending Wharton have not had any supervisor experience.

I encourage you to give Wharton a shot! Nothing wrong with having one reach school.

Starwalker said...

hey Nitin & Tinydancer, thanks for the encouraging comments. I'm definitely going to think once more about wharton now. Yes, I am Indian, Nitin, and the fact that I am a doctor is probably one thing going for me,and the fact that i scored 770, whatever it may be worth.

Wharton may be a reach, but I'm think I'll try for it.

Thanks again

Anonymous said...

Hi Star, I've been seriously contemplating my list of schools as well, and if you with a stellar GMAT and such a diverse work exp. don't want to go for the biggies, then either I'm completely wrong in having 4 biggies in my list, or you are being extremely modest. Do take your shot at Wharton, else you'll never know how far you cud have gone !

Anonymous said...

Hi- new reader here. 34 is NOT OLD!!!! Not for a US institution, anyway. It is expected that you will have experience to be able to enter an MBA program.

Starwalker said...

hi anonymous, guess what, 34 IS old. Average age in most US MBA's is about 27-28, and anything more than 3 years above that is called an older applicant. As you can see, when i join at 35, I'll be sigificantly older than the rest of the class.....


I do believe that I'll bring something to the table or else i'd not be applying, but that will be a sell i'll have to make to the adcoms